Grand Rapids Community Foundation is leading efforts to prepare our community for the challenges and opportunities presented by the aging of the biggest generation of Americans ever. Our multi-faceted approach includes convening stakeholders, research and learning through local and national partnerships, and strategic grantmaking.
A Community Vision
- We convened the community to develop the Creating Community for a Lifetime (CCFL) vision and roadmap.
- Our Encore is playing a leadership role in advancing the social and civic engagement recommendations within the CCFL roadmap.
A National Partnership
- Our involvement in the Community Experience Partnership, an initiative of The Atlantic Philanthropies, provides access to resources including funding and a national learning community.
Preparing the Community to Take Advantage of the Experience Dividend
- We assessed the community’s readiness to capitalize on the resources of boomers and other experienced adults. Find out more from Boomers and Beyond: Is our Community Ready to Tap Their Talents?
- We’re partnering with Grand Valley State University’s Johnson Center for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Leadership to offer the Encore: Coming of Age®Learning Lab to help local nonprofits more effectively engage experienced adults.
- We’re supporting the Volunteer Center of the Heart of West Michigan United Way in implementing innovative strategies for linking nonprofits with experienced adult volunteers.
- Through our local Community Experience Partnership, we’re demonstrating how experienced adults can significantly impact the issue of homelessness—and other issues the community faces.
- We’ve awarded grants to area nonprofits exploring new approaches to tapping the resources of experienced adults. The Encore brochure highlights these demonstration projects.