The Sparta Community Foundation, a regional affiliate of Grand Rapids Community Foundation, evaluates local needs and opportunities and looks to fund projects that address the areas of art & culture, community development, education, environment, health, or social needs and that:
- represent an innovative, start-up effort or are capital in nature (e.g., construction, renovation, equipment)
- promote cooperation among agencies without duplicating services
- obtain the necessary additional funding to implement and maintain the project
- are located in Sparta and its surrounding areas
- strengthen or improve agency self-sufficiency or efficiency
- yield substantial community benefits for the resources invested
- serve a broad segment of the community
- encourage additional and permanent funding or matching gifts from other donors
- are managed by nonprofits with 501(c)(3) status
The Sparta Community Foundation also has a Youth Advisory Committee that advises grantmaking to organizations working to benefit youth in Sparta.
For more information, please contact William Dani, Grant Committee Chair, at email@example.com.
The Foundation considers grant applications once/year. After reviewing our grantmaking guidelines, grant applications can be completed online beginning in early July and are due the second Friday in September. Decisions will be announced by October 31.
For technical assistance with the online grant application, call 616.454.1751 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- William P. Dani, Chair
- Angela Anderson
- Julie Anderson
- Linda Bradford-Anderson
- Lee A. Braford
- Richard Kleinfeld
- Toni Potes
All gifts to the Sparta Community Foundation are tax deductible and help people in the Sparta area.
- Feeding America West Michigan - $3,100 supporting four Mobile Food Pantries for the Sparta community.
- Girls on the Run Kent County - $3,500 to support programming that develops girls' social, psychological, and physical competencies to successfully navigate life experiences.
- North Kent Connect - $19,500 for the Market Pantry and Farm Stand Buildout project.
- Sparta Area Schools - $775 to plant native wildflower grasses along the school nature trail.
- Sparta DDA (Village of Sparta) - $3,500 to support the Shop Eat Enjoy Sparta! Winter promotions.
- Sparta DDA (Village of Sparta) - $4,000 for the creation of four murals in downtown Sparta.
- West Michigan Symphony - $1,000 for virtual visits from musicians for Sparta Appleview Elementary students.