Grand Rapids Community Foundation provides grants to help children experience the wonders of summer camp and enrichment programs. Established through the estate of Mary Ives Hunting and the Youth Enrichment Fund, Access Camps is designed to improve access for youth to benefit from academic, social and recreational opportunities. This funding is directed to organizations that provide financial assistance for Kent County youth to participate in overnight, day camp or enrichment experiences.
Applications are accepted bi-annually, and awards include two years of funding.
Priority will be given to programs that demonstrate the following:
High and/or increasing population of participants and staff of color
Accredited camps or those working toward accreditation
This only applies to overnight camps.
Programs taking place during the summer.
Applications cover two years of programming. Overnight camps may apply for a maximum of $10,000 per year ($20,000 total). Day camps and enrichment programs may apply for a maximum of $5,000 per year ($10,000 total). Organizations providing both overnight camp and day camp or enrichment programs can combine their requests into one application for a maximum of $15,000 per year ($30,000 total).
Eligible programs must meet the following criteria to apply:
- Serve participants currently in or entering 4th -12th grades.
- Serve participants whose families live at or below 200% of the poverty level in Kent County.
- Serve participants who have significant limitations regarding participation choices due to disabilities.
- Programs are inclusive to people of all gender identities.
- If scholarship recipients require transportation to participate, a portion of the grant request must be designated to provide transportation support (direct transportation costs, support/family liaison services, bus passes, gas cards, etc.).
- Programs should not exclude participants based on their religion or spiritual beliefs.
The online grant application is available bi-annually from November through January.
If you have a question about whether or not your camp would qualify for an Access Camps grant or just to learn more about the program, please reach out.
- American Diabetes Association
- Blandford Nature Center
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Grand Rapids Youth Commonwealth
- Camp Blodgett
- Camp Greenwood
- Camp Henry
- Camp Michawana
- Camp Newaygo
- Camp Roger
- Camp Shout Out
- Camp Tall Turf
- Conductive Learning Center
- IKUS Life Enrichment Services
- John Ball Zoo
- Lincoln Lake Baptist Youth Camp
- Muscular Dystrophy Association (Greater Michigan)
- New City Kids
- Opportunities Unlimited for the Blind
- President Ford Field Service, Michigan Crossroads Council
- Remembrance Ranch
- YMCA Camp Pendalouan
- YMCA of Greater Grand Rapids